bout

Monday, October 12, 2009

Mista Salad Dressings




Kraft, move on over. Your getting kicked out of the fridge. Once you try making your own salad dressings the bottled ones are sure to get the boot.

Part of my healthy recovery is my new found love for vegetables. I think the reason we are so adverse to these healthy companions is that most of us grew up on their frozen, mushy brothers and sisters. Or maybe your mom cooked the life right out of them. Ever remember eating broccoli that portrayed the famous trendy puke green color of the seventies? Didn't taste so good did it?

~The secret to loving whats good for you~

If I incorporate more veggies in my diet I feel so much better. I think clearer. I have more energy. My zest for life returns. But even though I know I should do this, it's not quite enough motivation. Wanting to do this is more important. What encourages my desire to want them is dressing them up. It's possible to do this via healthy dressings and marinades. I need to get my taste buds excited. This is my motivation. It's got to taste good.

~The Chicken Veggie comparison~

Let's say for dinner your having a chicken breast. A plain cooked chicken breast is pretty bland, it will take some effort to choke the whole thing down. And whoops, you've cooked it to death, fearing you might eat salmonella. The texture is now dry and yucky, and impossibly hard to swallow all by itself. Your craving something to coat the chicken so you can actually swallow it. I'm afraid only butter or gravy might do the trick here. Kind of defeats the purpose of eating this healthy choice.

On the flip side, if you prepare the chicken breast and marinate for it for a few hours. Taking the time to cook it slowly till it's done just right. It's cooked through yet still moist and tender. It will taste amazing and healthy to boot. You already know this. This is how we should treat our veggies. Season, cook to bring out the best in themselves. Their true beauty will be revealed. Then you will taste the vegetable for it's true value. Your taste buds will applaud in approval. So will your body. Your journey to loving veggies is beckoning, can you hear the call? .





“Mista” Italian Salad Dressing

3 lemons juiced
3 Tbs White wine vinegar
3 Tbs Light tasting olive oil (Presidents Choice Spanish olive oil is great)
2 ts of Dijon mustard
1 Garlic clove pressed
½ ts 'Greek' spice
½ ts sugar
1/8 ts salt
1/8ts salt


-Juice lemons, add the rest of ingredients and presto! The best salad dressing. You can adjust the oil to your needs. If your on a diet 1 Tbs is sufficient, if you want a richer dressing add one or two Tbs more. If you don't like the strong taste of olive oil mix it with half canola, or another mild tasting oil.

*Want to make a veggie dip?
-1/2 cup Mayo
-1/2 cup Sour cream
-2 Tbs Mista Italian dressing

*Creamy salad dressing?
-1/2 cup Mayo
-1/2 cup buttermilk
-2Tbs Mista Italian dressing

No comments:

Post a Comment